A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words
[The information in this blog post was obtained from my PRCA 3330 text, in Chapter 8 – Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques, 6th ed. by Dennis L. Wilcox.]
Photographs and graphics are so important in press releases and news stories because they add appeal, excitement and diversity! Here are some things to remember when capturing/selecting pictures:
- Your picture should be able to tell a story creatively and quickly.
- Elements that make up a really great photo are good lighting, action, color, angle, composition and scale.
- A good caption provides context and uses present tense. Be honest and not misleading.
- Do NOT overdo it with the PhotoShop program!
- Get express consent from the subjects in your photo.
- Practice makes perfect!