Writing for the Radio & the Tube!
[The information in this blog post was obtained from my PRCA 3330 text, in Chapter 9 – Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques, 6th ed. by Dennis L. Wilcox.]
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- When writing news releases for radio, remember that in comparison to writing your usual press release, that it should more conversational and more concise.
- News releases for TV need to contain clear and catchy video, graphics, sound bites and transitions.
- A cost-effective technique for reaching out to radio stations for a long-distance personal interview is a radio media tour, or RMT.
- TV stations often use video news releases (VNRs); these require professional quality and production.
- Use a pitch to try to get placement on talk shows, but be very persuasive in writing!
- Local organizations often utilize community calendars, PSAs, documentary videos and personal appearances to gain exposure.